Dec 18, 2017

1st Semester Final Exam

One of the main highlights of the semester was filming all of this years Lip Dub

This was a very fun project and very challenging as there were a lot of different things to work out camera-wise. For example, we really had to decide if I would be sitting or standing while going throughout the school. Each had their own advantages, but we ended up deciding to push me throughout the school to maximize on speed and stability. As far as technically speaking, the equipment we used was pretty basic as far as DSLR and Lens, but we had ordered a new steadicam monopod and used it on this video, and I think it turned out very well. I am very proud of the whole team and how much effort and craftsmanship they put into this to make this truly a good video.

Now for class time. In eComm, a common trend is always going to be downtime. For me, not really involved with much other things besides eComm and not really doing any client work this semester, I would usually always have time to myself. This is when I would really excel on menu items and do things to further sharpen my craft, and take in as much inspiration/learning as possible. This would usually be done through technical reviews reviewing the latest 4k camera, a documentary describing a certain person or life on a certain film set, or even articles released by major film companies. But of course, whenever a class project called for my attention, I would always prioritize the project and do what I can to get it done.


 As far as my personal skills as a filmmaker, I'd say there's some potential. I understand quite well how to film and good ways to film well and film efficiently, and I do feel pretty knowledgable about this field of expertise. I feel like I think outside the box and think creatively when coming up with things like new shots or even new lighting techniques. And I do get along well with anyone I'm working with and always willing to deal and receive constructive criticism. I really maximize these strengths though by making sure I feel at home, and that is when I am behind the camera.

But with strengths always come weaknesses. Some weaknesses I have in other classes that ultimately translates over to eComm is the fact that I don't stay on task well and easily become distracted. This is evident when I need to do something like make a blog post and I end up just watching a documentary on youtube or something. It's something I am aware of and trying to eradicate.

This semester we also went on a field trip and toured a local movie theatre, and even tried out their MX4D technology. I personally wasn't a fan of it, I thought the whole experience just wasn't perfected, but I am excited for the future of film and where things like this can go, and even other types of immersion yet to be introduced.

Overall I'd say this semester was very productive both on a personal level and even on a class level. I feel like The whole class has meshed well and really made some great projects. I am truly excited to start on our movie and see where I can take it as the DP.

No comments:

Post a Comment