Dec 15, 2016

Professional Project Review - Alone

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wbTc81JmQTs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This short film was an award winning short film made by independent creators by Brock Torunski & Alex Vietinghoff. This short film won awards for cinematography and sound at the Halifax film festival. 

The main summary of the film is a man is living (alone) in a post apocalyptic world. The film starts out by him having a dream of the normal world, and then showing a normal day in his life along with his narration. He makes food, scavenges old houses for supplies and walks home. But they create suspense by having him narrate about him being alone on earth, while a house he walks past has a light turned on.

I really liked the cinematography in this film I thought it was fantastic. This film looked really good resolution wise and all the shots were clean and unique. I will definitely use this as inspiration for my future works.

Some things I didn't like about this film, however, was the actor and how he sounded. It might sound weird but the voice overs didn't match the characters face and didn't sound good compared to the situation. It just seemed a little awkward.

Another thing I didn't like was the setting. I know it was supposed to be set in a post-apocalyptic time but I could not tell at all besides the toothpaste in the drawer and the can of food. The house, street and even other houses all looked completely normal for being post apocalyptic. I know this would be very hard to do, but it doesn't look like they made any effort to make it look post apocalyptic. And in a narration he says he has been alone for years, so something should have definitely changed in the setting if the apocalypse isn't a new thing.

Overall I thought it was a fun watch. I don't think I would watch it again or recommend it, only for the reasons I listed above. I just couldn't get into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment